When I first got this bike, I had to use all my muscle to rock it off of the center stand. It made me wonder about the R65 model… but then I realized that both tires were still touching the ground while it was on the center stand. I still wasn’t sure if this was correct or not. I thought it could have been on of the R65 quirks until a local mechanic friend told me it was due to the center stand being slightly bent.
1980 BMW R65
So the bike went back up on the lift…
1980 BMW bent center stand tabs where it touches the frame
The bent area was filled in with a weld on both sides
Ground the weld down to be flat again. I could have kept a bit more material in hind sight.
Painted and ready for re-install thanks to my mini garage helper.
The front wheel no longer touches the ground and it is much easier to rock off the center stand. I could have built up even more material so it would sit a bit higher but I was being conservative. I wasn’t really sure how much was too much. But for now, the problem is solved.
I can’t remember the condition of this final drive when I assembled my 77 R100s back in 2003. When I had my rear tire replaced recently, I noticed how terrible the splines are. The splines on the wheel are better then the final drive but they will need replacing someday too.
I found this drive with the same ratio and cleaned it up and replaced the spline. Now it is time to swap the drives.
While it is apart, I am taking the opportunity to pull the tranny back and lube the clutch splines as well.
Back to Beemers…
I’m working on a project bike for a friend and had the items powder coated satin black. I’m very excited to see how this bike will turn out.
And yes, I have a very messy garage/workbench at the moment.
I removed the wheel bearings and the races with lots of heat, and the help of a press.
Then went to the powder coat shop and gave them the masking instructions.
Here are some photos of the install.
Not pictured is the process of checking and testing the bearings in the race to make sure they spin smoothly.
If not, clean them, re-test, and clean them again, etc…
Then grease ’em good!
Also not pictured is the process of cleaning the inside of the hub REALLY well. Especially since they were sand blasted.
And.. then there is the process of pre-loading the bearings, freezing them for a day, heating the hub and then ‘plop’, you are done.
Bearings from when I pulled them from the hub.
Preloaded bearing stack. I have a piece of steel pipe that I put on the other side of the stack with the axle to help with the preload.
A nice propping set up for when it is all heated. These are damaged cork Yoga blocks that a yoga company couldn’t sell. I happily found a home for them in my garage and they come in handy!
Frozen bearing stack and axle dropped into that toasty hot hub.
Just an update… I have 3 bikes in the works but they have been taking longer then expected. I’m trying to customize many features vs buying the available parts out there.
And, I’ve been busy over at Oshmo.com helping to develop some Airhead aftermarket parts that look good, and function, for customizing these old BMW’s.
Recent additions are rear sets, and top clamps… more ideas to come!!