I absolutely love this car but why on earth can’t Billy Joe keep the manual transmission in it?
Can’t that commercialized pop punker drive stick?
This was back on October 29th, 2011.
Wow. What can i say. LOTS of cars. Lots of NICE cars. It was great seeing all the 2002s and 1600s there.
Here is a flicker gallery of some of the ones that caught my eye. Of course i shot way more photos… but i had to edit.
Prior to the event, i talked to the coordinators about adding motorcycles next year. They really want to do it… so stay tuned. Hopefully Vintage BMW bikes will be there in 2012.
The first batch of body work arrived for the cafe bike. I’m super excited. The fine people at boxer cafe made me custom front fender without the center lip found on stock BMW fenders. The reason for the lip deletion is for the paint scheme. They have been wonderful to talk to and work with. I look forward to seeing what other items they come up with for BMWs.
Talk about a restoration done the right way! It helps if you are the guys who originally designed the car!
Their spare parts warehouse is my version of a candy store.
After parting out one of these last summer, and spending countless hours working on my old 2002, and current 2002, i can say that all the parts look very familiar….
This is about as ‘brand new’ as you can get. I wonder how much they want for it? ha ha…
I can’t take credit for this idea. I saw this on a blog ages ago. I have since tried to locate the blog and haven’t had any luck so i figured i’d share my experience here on beemersandbits.com.
Hopefully this will help those out there trying to do the same key modification to their /5. I think /2 BMW’s use the same ‘beetle’ looking key.
First you have to remove the old key mechanism. Quickly you start to realize that this upgrade is valid. the contacts and wiring aren’t the best after 38+ years.
Start by taking a long screwdriver and carefully bend the 4 tabs that hold the original key relay in place.
The next step is to prepare everything. I used some small drill bits and drilled around the old key. After doing enough drilling, i was able to wiggle it loose and remove it from the ‘beetle’.
I then had to file down the head of the new key to fit inside the ‘beetle’.
Next was finding a way to get MacGyver and keep the key in place while the epoxy hardens.