Time to stamp some new numbers on the R75/5 ID plate. The old one was just too nasty…
While the R75 bits are out of my hands, it was time for a R90/6 day!
I bought two R90/6 bikes last summer from the same person. One had a title, one did not. Even though I had the title, the bike wasn’t registered since 1994 and after the North Ridge earthquake, it got parked and sat ever since.
It has a deep oil pan, lightened flywheel, dual plugged heads, beefy triple tree, fork brace, and a few other goodies.
Once i got home, i took the whole bike apart. Then I tried to get it registered.
The DMV wouldn’t touch it because it was out of the system, so I slapped it together for a trip to the CHP.
I had the officer inspect the VIN of the other bike (without title) and he said it checks out as well.
The transmission and swingarm are empty. no carbs. no instruments. I basically had to make it look like a bike just so it could get verified.
Then I went off to my buddy’s house to get his wrecked R60/6.
He pulled out into traffic and got hit by a lawyer in a Jaguar. The BMW cylinders saved his live. He walked away with just a scratch on his leg. On a different bike, his leg would have been crushed but the car hit the cylinder instead.
The Helmet he had on helped too.
I am going to get this looking like a bike again for him. We hope to have some fun with it in the process… we are thinking of blacking everything out, and making this a sleek, trimmed down cafe bike.
The body work has been sent to the painter.
And all the metal bits have been blasted and brought to the powder coating shop.
I stopped by the shop to go over all the masking of what should get plugged and masked from the powder coat.
When this stuff comes back, it will be beautiful.
My old welder went to work for Apple… the nerve of him! Instead of molding metal, he is now working with Jony Ive designing high end plastic components to contribute to the distractions and communications of the universe. Oh well… we all need to expand our career horizons.
I got connected with a new welder and the guy is an artist! Just like the last bike, we filled the holes on the rear main frame tab, added a permanent boss for the rear sets, and reinforced the bottom corner that always cracks. He went crazy and boxed it in. It looks amazing and that rear area will never flex again.
I am glad I am doing a complete rebuild of this bike. The steering was a bit stiff and not smooth. Once I got the neck out of the frame, I realized why.
Rusted Steering bearings.
Since the frame is going to be powder coated, the races have to come out anyway. I could see somebody buying the bike and not getting this deep into the restoration and it would be dangerous to ride with bearings like that.
These went straight to the trash.