Took Apart and Cleaned the BING carbs

These are the 64/32/9 and 64/32/10 BING carburetors. They were standard issue on the R75/5 BMWs back in the early 70’s. From what Siebenrock says, they will work just fine with their power/performance upgrade piston/cylinder kit. They may need different jetting but I’ll cross that bridge when I mount them to an assembled engine.

I finally got around to looking into them. Holy crap, they are used and abused. I have two sets, one from the parts bike and another from our ‘main’ bike.
One set has been modified by a previous owner who added vacuum ports on them. The ports look bad, and who knows if they are completely sealed so i’m going to shy away from using that set of carbs. Too risky.

The other set is nasty but can be rebuilt. The diaphragms are OK but everything else leads me to believe they have never been rebuilt before. The only drawback to using these carbs is that the BING nameplates are trashed and replacing them is a tricky job that requires precisely drilling out each metal nail. It may require many hours and machine work that I’m uncertain about. I’m thinking that I will polish the crap out of those plates instead.

Here is the carb, dirty and ready for a new life:

Here goes:

Choke removed, needles coming out:



Everything apart (an unofficial diagram):

The second carb had a slight issue… One of the butterfly screw heads turned to putty and stripped when I tried to remove it. I had to drill it out, and bastardize some parts from the second set of carbs to replace the pivot arm that the butterfly attaches to.

I was lucky enough to receive an Ultrasonic cleaner as a gift earlier in the year. I LOVE the idea of NOT using a highly chemical, messy, toxic carb cleaner kit. So I poured a bit of simple green in the tank, a small dab of laundry soap and some hot water.

After about 20 minutes of vibrations, the carbs came out nice and clean.
Before:

After:

Next steps:
Time to buy the complete BING rebuild kit for $210. And maybe blast these carbs for an even cleaner surface.

Venice Vintage Motorcycle Rally 2012

Just some quick snapshot photos of the day.
It started with a massive group photo of 100’s of bikes at 9AM.
Then a ride up PCH.
Then a party and judging contest on Venice Blvd.
I was there for the beginning and to see some of the winning bikes. Overall it was a good day. Lots of amazing bikes. Hot weather. Cool crowd and some really cool vendors. I’m already looking forward to next year!

Here is where it started… In line with a bunch of other bikes.

For some reason, they broke they broke us into two groups as traffic passed between on Pacific. I’m curious to see how this massive group photo turns out.

My bike in a sea of iron and sweat.

A nice R69S reflected in the tank of my bike.

Great old Norton and the R69

Getting ready to ride

The winning cafe bike (i think).

A 1939 R35 BMW that won ‘best in show’. Well deserved. Congrats to whoever owns it.

Built a battery bracket

Got the Shorai battery and luckily it fits under the tail section as I had hoped. It only weights about 3 lbs so it shouldn’t be a weight issue. It will just be a matter of running the wires in discreet places.

I bought some aluminum to make a cage and bracket for it.

I cut the two ‘L’ brackets to create bumpers from preventing the battery from moving forward or backward.Then started bending the aluminum strip to make a srtap like bracket to hold the battery from moving left/right or uo/down.

I marked the footing and drilled some holes. I purposely offset the bracket to not interfere with the outlet on the battery for the Shorai battery tender.

Done

Shorai Battery Arrived

In order to size everything prior to paint, i had to order the battery. I want to build a bracket and make sure everything fits under the tail section.
We got a Shorai Battery and holy smokes, it weighs NOTHING. Well, actually, about 3 pounds. But still…
It is a bit thicker then i had anticipated but so far it doesn’t seem like it will be a problem.
What I am most impressed by is that they sent the battery packed in closed cell foam pieces.
I’m sure this was done for protection in shipping but also for those using this battery and who need to fill all the empty space left from going to a massive, heavy battery to a lightweight and smaller Shorai Lithium Battery.

It is starting to look like a bike again

I’ve been putting time in on the bike but not keeping up on the blog. Work has been nuts lately and I need the garage time much more then additional screen time.

The bike is starting to look like a motorcycle again. I have some old wheels as ‘stand ins’ until i get rubber on the new rims.
The rest of the bike is ‘finger tight’ at the moment. I’ll start tightening everything down once i have more of the actual parts ready, and the bodywork is done.

I customized a BoxerMetal fender elimination plate to fit a SWB bike. It took about 22 walks to the bike, test fit, trim, and repeat until it fit properly. It also required some additional bending.
This plate will also hold the battery under the seat’s tail section.

Front brake mounted to the forks. Nice and polished brake arms:

Starting to look like a Motorcycle again!!!

Starting to figure out the bodywork. I love how my 2002 is reflected in the toaster panel.

I think we are going to go with a 3inch racing stripe down the middle:

3 inches on the tail too:

Emblem is going to look nice… all i have lying around is a tank emblem that fits the tail emboss.

I can’t wait to ride this thing…

I trimmed the front fender a bit and moved the rear fender bracket up the fender a bit. I was thinking of taking a bit more off the front of the fender but can’t bring myself to do it yet. I’m not sure it is necessary.